There are many different ways that digital media can be used as methods for gathering research data. For example:
- Online surveys using tools such as SurveyMonkey and Wufoo.
- Online ethnography in which data is gathered by researchers spending time in pre-existing online spaces.
- Observational methods such as the use of video in psychological and ethnographic studies.
- Interviews and focus groups in which digital media are used as a focus for discussion, and/or to record interactions or outputs (text, photos, audio, video).
- Mobile methods using portable devices and GPS to gather data as people move around particular places, sites or landscapes.
- Participatory methods in which participants take photographs, make blog posts, videos, sound diaries, animations and other kinds of media.
- Digital story telling in which participants use audio and visual media to share their ideas, experiences and life stories.
- Secondary analysis of the vast quantities of digital data that already exist.
Annotated bibliography: using digital media
|< Prev||Next >|